- Component One: Adjusted Efficiency (AdjO-AdjD)
- Component Two: Offense ((eFG%*2)+(OR%)+(TO%))
- Component Three: Defense ((eFG%)+(OR%/2)+(TO%*2))
- Component Four: Luck (Found at kenpom)
- Component Five: Conference Dominance ((Pythag) - (Conf AVG Pythag))
Note: The offense and defense components are pretty arbitrary. It is what we favor, but can definitely be ambiguous.
These components are not weighted equally. Like Cistulli did at Fangraphs, I found the z-score (standard deviations from the mean) of each component. The final formula is:
(((aEFFz) + (OFFz*2) + (DEFz/2) + (LUCKz*2) + (CONFz*2)) / 2) + 5
This gives almost every team a number from 0-10. The top 2 teams were rounded down to 10 while the bottom three were rounded up to 0. Without further ado, the Hoop Vision 2009-2010 Top 25:
This chart as well as charts for the top three teams in each conference can be found on its own page. You can go there by clicking on the "Hoop Vision Top 25 (2009-2010)" tab at the top of the website.